CLICK ON ARROW TO OPEN MENU
Zavora is a small coastal resort, north east of Maputo in Mozambique, in the district of Inharrime, province of Inhambane. From Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, you drive almost 420km in a north eastern direction to get to Zavora. It is located 27km away from the town of Inharrime and the capital of the province, the city of Inhambane, is approximately 2 hours drive away towards the North East.
The correct Portuguese spelling is Závora, and some maps refer to the area as "Ponta de Závora", Portuguese for "Tip of Zavora" or "Praia de Závora" meaning "Beach of Zavora". The origin of the name Zavora is not known.
Zavora is 440kms north of Maputo can be considered as one of the many best fishing areas in Mozambique.Zavora is enjoyed as a holiday, fishing and diving venue by many keen fishermen, divers and tourist visitors.
After 423kms on the EN1 (just 10kms after Inharrime) is the Zavora turn off and Zavora is a further 17 kms from the turn off, along a reasonable dirt road .
Zavora Bay is protected by a reef,and this is where the launching of boats is done from.
There is a natural tidal pool created by this reef that is ideal for snorkelling and swimming
Humpback whales mate and calve in the warm waters off Mozambique and can be seen as they move past on their return trip to the Southern Ocean during June to November. Occasionally Manta Rays break the surface and Sailfish.are often seen jumping.
Dolphins are regularly seen feeding and playing in the bay.
The inland lakes can be reached by 4 x 4s or quad bikes.
Conditions laid down by the Mozambique Marine Department:
- Beach vehicles must buy a permit which is valid for 30 days. Vehicles are only allowed to be driven on the beach to launch boats or take beach equipment down. After
this they must be removed from the beach and parked in the demarcated areas on the beach.
- Launching permits for all boats valid for 30 days, must be bought. Permits for a small boats and rubber ducks are cheaper than large boats.
- Fishing permit per angler, exclude shore fisher men must also be bought, these too are valid for 30 days.
- Paddle ski permits also valid for 30 daysare required.
- Jet ski permits also valid for 30 days are required. Please note that jet ski's are only allowed north of Zavora
They are not allowed in the bathing areas or the bay. Life jackets to be
worn at all times!
- No private quad bikes are allowed.